Friday, October 01, 2010

October First

I can't believe its already October. I'm sitting in Nanny and Papa's lovely basement, enjoying the heat of the fireplace. Being at their house is so soothing, perhaps its all the delicious food they feed me, or being understood by your own people, but it feels good. Somehow time got away from me these past few months. The intensity of clinical (nicknamed bootcamp) and the absence of a summer break made school feel endless this year. The accelerated pace of the program is beginning to wear on me, and in order not to get discouraged, sometimes I look back at all the things I didn't know when I started that seem second nature to me now. Here are just a few things I've learned in the past few months.
-sleep is important, especially when working 3 twelve hour shifts in a row, so you shouldn't feel lame going to bed at 9:30.
-wash your hands
-take the tourniquet off after putting the needle in when drawing blood.
- wash your hands.
- strep throat makes life harder. First line drug therapy is Penicillin- make sure your provider knows this. grr.
- wash your hands
-Nashville in the summer is like living in a giant hot cloud of steam coming from burning asphalt, just add pollen.
- use lotion on your hands
- treat all your patients like they are your parents.
- scrubs are great, except when you order longs and the pant legs are still too short

- Squirrel weddings
are fantastic

- moving is always hard and brings out emotions i didnt know i had, but good thing my wonderful brother David helped arrange our furniture. thanks bro.
- I like driving a uhaul truck. very much.

- Birthdays are wonderful.

- Ukuleles make the world a brighter happy place.

- Records is spelled r-e-c-o-r-d-s. oops.

- Wash your hands and your dishes.
- I am so blessed by living with Sarah and Lacie

- Kayaking into the sunset is a new favorite, especially with wonderful friends.

- Being Aunt Boo only gets better.



- Church weekly renews my soul.

These are just a few things I've learned in the past few months. Hopefully I've learned enough to pass the NCLEX, my big huge test that determines if I become a nurse or not. So, if you happen to read this before October 12, please say a prayer for me, and if I seem hard to reach until then, know that I would really love to chat but I'm probably studying. maybe not, but i should be.

4 comments:

Nana said...

dearest Boodle,

Am so glad you were able to have some good study and loving time with nanny and papa. Sounds like it was a refreshing time. Our prayers are with you as you prepare for the test and on the test day!!! So glad to see such a wonderful update!

Unknown said...

love love love this post. and you.

Blake Elizabeth said...

Becca Boo, I just love you. :) Praying your big test goes well!

Summer said...

I love you! You are amazing!